There are currently 13.3 million people with a disability in the UK and we also have an ageing population. As a result a growing percentage of the population will be looking to travel with some form of disability.
QEF Mobility Services provide 1 day training events for professionals in the travel sector who want to develop their knowledge of the issues associated with travelling with a disability, in order to provide a better quality service for all customers. Understanding statutory requirements around travelling with a disability will help to ensure a better service for your customers, especially those thinking about traveling by air. This will boost your credentials and help you to be relevant to a growing market.
The course is delivered by QEF Mobility Services, and we are endorsed by the Department of Transport, DVLA and accredited by the Forum.
What is it about
The Disability Awareness Training is a one-day workshop, designed in line with the Disabilities Act legislation, to help you understand and ‘experience’ disability. Sessions will cover theoretical knowledge and practical techniques to develop core skills and techniques for day to day transport difficulties experienced by people with disabilities, with a focus on air travel.
Who should attend
Professionals in the travel sector who want to develop thier knowledge around travelling with disabilities and thereby improve the service they offer.
What will I get out of it
The programme includes:
- What is disability
- Types of disability
- Medical Conditions
- Meeting people with a disability
- Your rights and legislation
- Wheelchair experience
- Disability Discrimination Act
- Children and adults with a disability travelling in aircraft
- Practical advice and guidelines on how to meet the needs of those with a disability. Issues and resources.
- Clarification of roles and responsibilities of wheelchair users
- Seating and transfer options
- Boarding techniques/methods for passengers with disability
- Additional seating requirements for passengers with disability
- Postural support requirements of passengers with disability
- Mobility Chain exercise
Course information - Ring 0208 770 1151 to book
Location: QEF Mobility Services, Carshalton, Surrey SM5 4NR
Duration: 1 day
Cost: £150 inclusive of course materials, certificate, refreshments and lunch